Dienstag, 26. März 2013

Sometimes the pain goes deep



I know I didn't write anything for a long time now. I just couldn't. Sometimes it needs all the energy to go on, to keep oneself together...

Most people can't understand what I was and still am feeling. One of my little ones, of my black cats died while I am still here in korea. Dean. He was perfectly healthy and it was just some kind of accident. What really happened we will never know. Just that he was in pain, he even bite Rumpel and then he was not really moving anymore. Rumpel and sun-lost (my former flatmate, it was his mother who brought the cats as little lost 4 week old nearly dead babies to us 12 years ago) took him to the doctor (the best one around Leipzig, even if he was helpless this time he already saved so many beloved animals from friends as well as mine... even from mistakes other doctors or even the clinic made). He said there is nothing he could do anymore, just to end the pain.

I was not there.

There is not much more to say. I know that we saved their life so many years ago and he had a good life. Still I feel guilty like... I should have played more with him, pet him more, especially because all of our cats were stressed due to moving into a new apartment over new year.

But I know that the day before the accident happened he was cuddling with Rumpel (even if Rumpel is allergic), lying next to him on the sofa. Dean was the one who recovered quite fast from the move, the one who finally got on the top of the food chain of my three cats. Normally he was at the bottom.

Just writing this sends me back to tears.

I had to read about his death in an email. It was not really possible to get me at the phone here in korea and Rumpel had to go to the hospital because Dean bite him in the hand. They had to operate his hand therefore he had to stay several days in the hospital and they don't have internet access there. Not the best time for him, for me or for us. I was so worried about him and so sad about the loss of Dean.

They say time heals all pain. I am sorry to say that this is not true. It is just that it is not at the front anymore. You don't think so often anymore of the reason for the pain. You also can smile at the good memories again. But in the moments you remember, the pain is back with all force. My mother died about ten years ago. It was cancer. And still, just hearing a certain song and all the memory of her as well as the pain is back.

A lot of people can't understand how deeply I love my cats. For them there are just pets. Some people are even shocked by the idea that you could love an animal so much. I fought for their lives so long ago and somehow along the way they also saved me. During all the really hard times in the last years, during the times when the wall between me and the rest of the world made me speechless, they were there. Bisu, Grusel and of course Dean. (some of my pictures from them: Dean, Grusel, Bisu) It may sound a little bit hard, but nobody is allowed to judge me on how and how deep I should feel. How much of pain and how many tears are okay and what is "too much" regarding to a pet. Dean was one of my little ones, my little beloved black ones.

It will be so strange coming back home and Dean won't be there to welcome me.



6 Kommentare:

  1. Claire, so sorry to hear of Dean's passing. Please don't worry about what others think of how you feel about your little cat. These are your feelings, they are real to you, and that is what matters.

    I do hope you will be able to adjust to Dean's absence. It is difficult I know, but you will, in time.

    Take care, Claire.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm really sorry to hear that... It's as though you've lost one of your best friends... The thing is, noone can take those memories away, so in a way Dean will live on as long as you live... I always have this idea of pets and friends who died all meet up in rainbowland, and that they are waiting there for me to come at some point, too...
    It must be especially hard because you were so far away and couldn't really do anything. It's this thing about not having any control at all over the situation, plus, not being able to properly say goodbye... maybe it helps to write a little letter to dean... (((claire)))) thinking of you...
    Mickymunchkin

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. My lovely Claire. I read this and had to go away for a while and cry, then come back to comment. I am so very sorry. The fact that you weren't there makes it exponentially harder. I'm just grateful that Rumpel and your friend, two people who loved Dean, were there to do what had to be done for his peace.

    I am sure you know why it is so deeply painful when we lose one of our beloved animals. The love is not complicated by all the things that complicate human relationships, it's so simple and unconditional.

    I hope Rumpel is recovered okay. I know it will take you a long time. I could write a much longer novel but I know lots of words aren't very helpful. I hope you can use your art and start to feel better, a little bit. How much longer are you in Korea? email if you want, anytime!

    Love, mich

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Oh, das tut mir ja so leid!
    Als unsere Katze eingeschläfert werden musste, war das für mich auch sehr hart, aber sie war "nur" vier Jahre bei uns, nicht 12 und nicht von kleinauf. Ich hab mir auch viele Vorwürfe gemacht, für alles, was ich unterlasssen habe und für jeden Abend, an dem ich nicht da war.
    Jetzt ist das fast drei Jahre her und ich hoffe, es tröstet dich villeicht doch ein klein wenig, dass zumindest ich mich inzwischen wieder viel mehr an die guten Zeiten erinnere. Jeder Verlust begleitet uns ein Leben lang, aber irgendwann kann man doch wieder dankbar sein, ein ganz besonderes Wesen gekannt zu haben.
    Ich glaube, das ist Trauerarbeit und bei verstorbenen Haustieren auch nicht so viel anders als bei Menschen.

    Dean hatte bestimmt ein wunderbares Leben bei dir.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Oh je, das tut mir ja so leid. Ich kann mit dir fühlen, mir ging's schon genauso. Mit der Zeit kommen aber die schönen Erinnerungen immer mehr durch und er hatte einpaar schöne Jahre bei dir.
    Fühl dich ganz fest gedrückt.
    Lg Sarah

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Oh mein Gott, allein das Lesen hat mir schon wieder Tränen in die Augen getrieben. (Nicht zuletzt weil ich auch im Ausland bin und unserer Katze, die mit uns "redet", vor jeder Abreise das "Versprechen abknöpfe", auf sich aufzupassen, damit wir uns wiedersehen.) Ich wünsche dir/euch alles Liebe und Gute und viel Kraft für die Zukunft. Zu den Leuten, die die innige Bindung zu einem Tier belächeln kann man fürchte ich nicht viel sagen, ich schätze sie können oder wollen es einfach nicht verstehen, weil sie diese besondere Bindung und Liebe nie erfahren haben. Als unsere erste Katze eingeschläfert werden musste war ich vielleicht 7 oder 8, der nächste Kater wurde dann auch sehr jung angefahren und hat es nicht überlebt und ich muss sagen, ich hätte den unsensiblen Grundschul-Klassenkameraden, die damals selbst nach meinen Erklärungen, wie wichtig und lieb mir diese Tiere waren, Dinge wie "stell dich nicht so an, ist doch bloß eine blöde Katze" und ähnliches sagten am liebsten an Ort und Stelle, Entschuldigung, die Fresse poliert. Es nicht nachvollziehen oder verstehen können ist ja eine Sache, aber muss man das den Trauernden auch noch hämisch unter die Nase reiben und ihre Betrauerten gelinde gesagt durch den Dreck ziehen und als Unwichtig abtun?! Ich versteh's einfach nicht und werde es wohl auch nie... wenn man es nicht versteht oder nachfühlt sollte man doch meiner Meinung nach wenigstens einfach die Klappe halten, Trauer ist eben etwas emotionales und nicht rational. Damals hab ich versucht, den Vergleich zu Geschwistern zu ziehen und gefragt, wie sie sich fühlen würden, wenn ihr Bruder/ihre Schwester, mit dem sie aufgewachsen sind, sterben würden etc., aber ich meine das hat auch nicht recht gefruchtet. Heute würde ich vermutlich sagen, dass eben jeder andere Prioritäten und Wertschätzungen hat und ihm andere Personen wichtig sind, aber wenn jemand anders seinen geliebten Onkel oder Opa betrauert brauche ich das doch nicht abtun, nur weil ich zu meinem Onkel/Opa kein gutes Verhältnis/keinen Kontakt mehr habe und sage auch nicht "Ach, ist doch nur ein Onkel.". Und genau so verhält es sich eben mit Tieren auch, für viele sind sie eben langjähriger und innig geliebter Freund und Begleiter bzw. Familienmitglied, das schmerzlich vermisst wird, und das finde ich völlig legitim und gut so. Ehrlich gesagt frage ich mich manchmal sogar, warum andere Leute überhaupt Haustiere haben, wenn sie doch eigentlich eh "nur Haustiere" für sie sind, die eben da sind, ggf. Arbeit und Dreck machen und gelegentlich mal gestreichelt werden, aber keine wirkliche Liebe erfahren oder vermisst werden, wenn sie weg sind?

    In diesem Sinne, lass dir von niemandem was einreden oder erzählen, was für eine "bloße" Katze angemessen sei, dein Herz und deine Gefühle sind das, was zählen, und da kann und darf dir niemand reinreden oder etwas vorschreiben wollen. Dadurch, es "verboten zu bekommen" lässt es sich sicher auch nicht leichter bewältigen und knabbert nur noch länger an dir.

    Viele liebe Grüße und alles Gute, fühl dich mal unbekannterweise gedrückt/getröstet (ich weiß, das hilft jetzt nicht viel ;)) und nimm dir die Zeit, die du brauchst.

    AntwortenLöschen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails