Freitag, 10. August 2012

Look at me! Eyeballs made with polymer clay



I promised you for some time now to show you how to make these eyeballs. They are really easy and fast to make. And like with most crafting stuff: The more you make, the better they will be! I'll show you some of my first (and not so perfect) ones. ^^

You need:

Polymer clay - white (I use fimo)
Acrylic colours - colours you like 
Liquid, transparent polymer clay (I also use fimo liquid)

At first just make some balls, press them on a flat surface (something you can put on the oven) and then use something with a round surface to press on top! You don't need the little hole in the middle but it gives your eyeball a better 3D effect in the end!


Bake them after the instructions of the manufactor of the polymer clay you used. Now paint the first layer of colour inside the hole of the little polymer clay ball! Let it dry...


Now add some light and dark stripes starting from the middle to go outwards, a black dot in the middle and one or two tiny white dots on top (let the colour dry between every step).


After the last drying step I put a thick layer of fimo liquid in the hole to create the lense of the eyeball. Before baking it is somewhat milky...


...but becomes clear after baking... and adding several layers of shiny lacquer on top! You need the lacquer! Also your eyeballs will look a little bit wet like the real ones ^^

The eyeball on the left has to big black lines... but the eyeball on the right really looks good! You see the lense effect created by the hole filled with fimo liquid? 

(edit: I forgot to mention that the eye on the left side is without lacquer! So that you can see the difference it makes!)


And fell free to add some blood vessels... I used some for the eyes of my "Grummelchen" (my tiny handsewn monster, have a look here). 


By the way: I would love to see the eyeballs you create! :)

17 Kommentare:

  1. Superb tutorial! I am amazed by how real it looks - the lens method is such a great effect!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. That is really cool! I have a Fimo stash, but did not know you could get clear stuff.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks :) And if you want to make some eyeballs even without liquid polymer clay:

      Just go to the steps until you have painted the polymer clay. Now start with some layers of lacquer. After they are dried you can use just dimensional glue like for example diamnond glaze. I wouldn't use this stuff direct on the polymer clay, not even after being baked, because it can get sticky over the time (the glue on the clay). But if you have some protective layers of lacquer between the polymer clay and the dimensional glue, it works fine :)

      Löschen
  3. Those are seriously creepy! Looks like we need to add liquid polymer clay to the shopping list...

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. FANTASTIC!!! I so want to make some eyeballs! Featuring you today on Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/iGottaCreate

    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I LOVE these! I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. OMG........Just what I have been looking for. These are absolutely great. I have become a follower so that I can pop in often. Now I am off to look around here some more. Great work!1

    Faye

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. You're a STAR tonight at I Gotta Create! Thanks SO much for linking up your eyeballs. ;)
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/08/wildly-original-linky-party-14-features.html

    <3 Christina

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. I'm pinning this great tutorial. So realistic! ~ Maureen

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. I'm SO impressed at how realistic these look! Amazing work Claire!

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. I used translucent sculpey liquid, and it says bake for 15-30 minutes. after 30 minutes, the eyes were still not clear. ideas? can i just throw them back in the oven after cooling off?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hey,

      that is normal with every liquid polymer clay that it won't be clear after baking.There are several factors involved in this and also several options to solve.

      One thing is: Never use a too big layer, this will always get a little bit milky.

      For the real shine I am adding 4 to six layers of shiny gloss at the end. This makes the liquid polymer really clear after baking. Works best for me! :)

      There is also the option of using a heat gun and overheat the surface of the baked liquid polymer. I tried this method and it works (the polymer needs some time to cool down, meanwhile it will be a little bit like gum ^^)... but I won't use it anymore because you overheat your polymer over 130 °C and this means you will create toxic fumes while working. I don't want to expore myself to this, not even outside :)


      PS: I am answering here because you don't have an email attached to your account.

      PPS: If you want some of my eyeballs earrings: I am just having a little giveaway for some earring stud eyeballs :)

      http://saraccino.blogspot.de/2012/10/on-my-worktable-and-some-tiny-eyeballs.html

      Löschen
  11. I totally missed this for Halloween but I just gotta try this and I have the clay! Way cool anytime of year :) Michelle W

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. I have done these where you take the clear part off googley eyes and use it, but the liquid fimo sounds so much easier. Thanks for the tutorial.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. It is really easy :) And I like to create eyes in every size and colour :)

      Löschen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails